InfoQuest September-October 2008

by Quest Staff on September 1, 2008 - 2:32pm

QUEST Vol. 15, No. 5

Find what you need to know about funding home modifications.

Administration for Children & Families Office of Community Services
(202) 401-9333

Administration on Developmental Disabilities
(202) 690-6590
These agencies often cover children who have physical disabilities; home modification funds may be available.

Aging and Disability Resource Centers
Referrals to local funding agencies.

City Community Services Department
Check your local phone book listings.
(800) 333-4636
Type home modifications into the search engine.

Eldercare Locator
(800) 677-1116
Locate local area agencies on aging, and obtain referrals to local funding agencies.

Independent Living Research Utilization
(713) 520-0232

Information and Referral Service (I&R)
Check the community pages of the phone book to see if your community offers an I&R program to connect people in need with appropriate organizations and agencies.

National Council of State Housing Agencies
(202) 624-7710
Locate a state housing finance agency

National Association of Home Builders
Check out “Funding for Home Modifications and Programs.”

National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification
(213) 740-1364
Click on your state to find funding resources for home modifications.

National Organization on Disability — Housing Access
(202) 293-5960

Rebuilding Together
(800) 473-4229
This free home repair and modification program run by volunteers assists people with disabilities and the elderly. The program can build ramps, install grab bars, modify bathrooms, widen doorways or perform general repair. (See Home Modifications.)

RESNA Alternative Financing Loan Programs
(703) 524-6686

State Departments of Vocational Rehabilitation
(Also check your telephone directory under “state listings.”)

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
(202) 708-1112
The nation’s source for housing information, the site provides tips on Fair Housing Act Accessibility Guidelines, financing resources and more.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
(800) 827-1000

For an extensive look at these and other AT funding sources that can help lessen the financial burden of paying for home modifications and equipment, check out:

No votes yet
MDA cannot respond to questions asked in the comments field. For help with questions, contact your local MDA office or clinic or email See comment policy