InfoQuest May-June 2008

by Quest Staff on May 1, 2008 - 9:45am

QUEST Vol. 15, No. 3

Find what you need to know about...funding

In "Playing the Money Game: Funding Challenges and Options," you'll read about some ways in which people with neuromuscular diseases are confronting the financial burden of paying for adaptive equipment, home and vehicle modifications, medications and more.

To help, the resources listed here provide a good starting point in your search for more information about funding resources at the national, state and local levels.

Access to Benefits Coalition
(202) 479-6670
The coalition works through local and state coalitions to inform beneficiaries and their families, as well as the professionals who serve them, about the Medicare Part D Extra Help and other prescription drugs savings programs.

Administration on Developmental Disabilities
(202) 690-6590
Users can locate their State Councils on Developmental Disabilities to find the agency in their area.

Aging & Disability Resource Centers

(202) 479-1200
The site helps people connect to government programs that can help them pay for prescription drugs, health care, utilities and other needs. A product of the National Council on Aging.

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
(877) 267-2323

Clearinghouse for the Community Living Exchange Collaborative
(617) 552-3484
Users can search for Medicaid and Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) resources by state.
(800) 333-4636

Extra Help
(800) 772-1213
Find out if you qualify, and apply online for Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug plan costs.

First Hand Foundation
(816) 201-1569
The Foundation helps families of children with health problems through grants for medical expenses, durable medical equipment, van lifts and ramps, and living expenses when traveling for medical care.
(800) 333-4636
Complete a brief, confidential online questionnaire, and the free site will provide a custom list of federal and state benefit programs.

Health Assistance Partnership
(202) 737-6340

Independent Living Research Utilization Directory of Centers
(713) 520-0232
Centers for Independent Living (CILs) often can provide local information about financial programs.

Information and Referral Service (I&R)
Check the community pages of the phone book to see if your community offers an I&R program to connect people in need with appropriate organizations and agencies.

(800) 633-4227
Representatives are available to answer questions round the clock.

Medicare Rights Center
(202) 544-5561

National Assistive Technology Advocacy Project
(716) 847-0650
Sponsored by Neighborhood Legal Services, the project supports the advocacy efforts of attorneys, advocates, service agencies, persons with disabilities and their families as they seek funding for AT services and devices.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance
(888) 477-2669
Help paying for medications, for those who qualify.

Patient Advocate Foundation
(800) 532-5274
The site links users to the “National Financial Resources Guidebook for Patients,” a state-by-state directory of local financial resources.

(401) 729-3284

(732) 507-7400

Social Security Administration
(800) 772-1213

State Departments of Vocational Rehabilitation
(Also check your telephone directory under “state listings.”)

State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
(800) 633-4227
The national program offers one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families.

No votes yet
MDA cannot respond to questions asked in the comments field. For help with questions, contact your local MDA office or clinic or email See comment policy